Monday, February 4, 2008

A blog-worthy story.....

One of my blogger friends Carly entitled one of her posts Sometimes it's either laugh or cry.... The story that I am about to share with y'all is totally a story where I just have to laugh my head off or I'll end up bursting out in tears. So I was planning on going on a missions trip with my church to Jamaica in March, and I was really excited about it. The last missions trip that I got to take was to Mexico about 5 years ago. I am so ready to go again. So back to the story......I knew that to go on this trip that I needed to have a passport, obviously. And I actually have a passport that I got when I went to Europe in high school. But alas, it is in my maiden name, Hansen, so I found out that in order to get a new passport with my married name I had to send in my old passport with a certified copy of my marriage certificate. Ok, I say to myself, I have a document in my files that I am pretty sure is some kind of marriage certificate or file of some sort. Well, not so. (Sidenote-I am sort of an unorganized individual, especially when it comes to paperwork.) I got online and went to the site of the Kansas Department of Health and Environment, or whatever came up when I googled kansas marriage certificates and promptly ordered one of these certified copies, and also bent over and paid the extra money to have it shipped pronto to mi casa because once I get it in the mail I have to send it to the passport agency to get the new passport, and apparently that takes 4-6 weeks! Whew! What the h?! what is the deal with our family and passport problems (we had a HUGELY crappy thing happen a couple years ago when my husband tried to get his passport, i don't even want to share because it will get me all kinds of worked up)!! Again, back to the story......SO on Saturday we receive a letter in the mail from the Kansas Board of whatever and they proceed to let us know that they have NO RECORD OF OUR MARRIAGE on file. So as I am flipping out I go and look at that document that I have in the file and......are you ready for this......it is actually our original marriage license that was NEVER FILED!!! SO BASICALLY WE WERE NEVER LEGALLY MARRIED! Can you freakin believe it?? And I am not done yet. First thing this morning I call the Kansas Board of whatever and ask them what I need to do to clear up this little problem, praying that they aren't going to make us go to the courthouse and get remarried. I just can't believe we haven't figured this out before now, HOW could this have happened? So the lady was very nice and said that all I had to do was take the license that we had to the courthouse of the county where we were married, and they would file it there, and they would send it to Topeka to the Kansas board of whatever. So I take all three kids to the county courthouse (yeah, picture that, it was funny) and they are very nice there too, and I think everything is going to be ok, until the lady looks at my license and says that the officiating pastor of our wedding (who happens to be my brother-in-law) signed the license in the wrong box on the license and didn't include the date of our wedding, which is the one piece of information that they absolutely needed in order to file the license. IS GOD MAD AT ME?? WHY??? So I call my brother in law and am on the way to his house to get him to resign and date this friggin license so that I can then take it back to the Johnson County courthouse and file it there, and then drive to Topeka to file it there......yes, this all really happened!.....and on the way I get a call from our youth pastor, James, and he tells me that the trip to Jamaica is canceled, so I really don't need the passport after all!! SO to end this totally crazy story, the license is now filed, and thankfully they are going to backdate it to the date of our real wedding so we won't have to get remarried. Done. I am so done. So now Rich and I just can't stop laughing about this whole thing and i'm sure our friends will never let us iive it down. So that is my story-feel free to comment and give me a hard time, i probably deserve it!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey its megan! I love reading your blogs. I just decided to make a new email for junk mail and stuff and i made it on gmail so that i could post a comment. I had done this before but i dont remember my user name or password so i though what the heck! Any how, I was cracking up practically the whole time I was reading that post about the passport. It reminded me of a story.

Sorry for the long, pointless comment but i though you should know why i havent been leaving comments.

See you Wednesday!

P.S. On the new email, i made up a fake name so if for some reason this says its from 'bailey' its not.

Alli Garlich said...

HILARIOUS! I can not believe that! I can just picture your face as all of this is happening:)

Anonymous said...

yep that was frekin' hilarious. i just remembered when you called an told me about rich and you were so upset :)

next time you have a crazy situation...please call me so i can watch the kiddos. it's always less stressful when you don't have to bring them along :)

emily anderson said...

okay, i think the funniest part of your story is the way you labeled it at the end "craptastically funny story that could only happen to the Ronnings". yup, that is funny. who says "craptastically"? you do.

ugh...i'm so glad that happened to you and not me. i would still be talking about it 40 years from now...all while my husband is saying "friggin' forget about it emily...i did, 40 years ago!" i just can't let go of things.

all righty...bye :)

Corey's Girl said...

CRAAAAZZY! What a great story-gave me a good laugh (I'm laughing with you)! Sounds like something that would happen to me!

nicole said...

oh my gosh! so how embarassing is it that i'm in the school library when i read this and then I just bust out laughing and broke the silence and now there are tons of people staring at me...oh lordy. and you totally crack me up how you never once cuss but you're showing obvious frustration with your "friggens"... ha. but why was the jamaica trip cancelled?